12.19.2007

Toilet Troubles

Do you know what these pictures mean? A bathroom remodel is in our future. We have always known that at some point (soon) we'll start replacing all the galvanized plumbing in the house. However, recently our toilet started leaking so I think we're moving that project to the front burner. All new plumbing and a new bathroom. The picture on the right shows how much the toilet will leak if we don't turn the nozzle off each time after we use the restroom. We're sure there is a MUCH easier and cheaper solution to this problem than a new bathroom, of course. However since we were planning on doing the plumbing very soon anyways this debacle just made it a priority. Which is fine with me. The leaky toilet will make holiday entertaining a bit more ... uh, interesting. Ah, the joys of older homes!























As you can probably see we have all original tile in our bathroom. This is why we have debated, literally for years, over the extent of a bathroom remodel. I am REALLY torn over taking out original details in old houses because it is what makes them special. However I do want to stay in this house forever and am willing to make it a more useful space. We have some plans for a slight expansion for a walk-in shower. And there are some places where the wall tile is cracked and chipped or has been replaced with cheap twelve-cent white plain big box store type of tile that does not match at all. So in a nutshell those are my justifications. I'm sure that some die-hard restorers will want to crucify me for this but I guess I'm willing to take that risk.

We just ordered tile samples (see pic below) from a place called Mission Tile West. We are looking through about fifteen colors from their Revival line. We'd like to look at some other
places before we commit but their colors are beautiful! We're thinking of the Bancroft line from Kohler for the toilet, pedestal sink and faucets for the sink and shower. We'll probably end up restoring an old claw foot bathtub. I'm really excited!!



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Exciting! We are in the middle of our bathroom... it's on hold for the holidays, too.

Dulcie said...

I can imagine how you feel about replacing any original fixtures! Fortunately (or unfortunately) our bathroom was updated many times over in several dubious styles. It is heinous and I look forward to tearing EVERYTHING out and starting anew. Ahhh... It will be good.

DianeT said...

It looks like we have almost exactly the same pink tile in our bathroom. (built 1927) This past summer a plumber knocked an enormous hole into the tile wall trying to fix a clog. I almost died. I'm torn between trying to find something to match (Ball State historic preservation grad / yeah, sure - it'll take me years to find something) to patch the hole, or remodel. Good luck with yours!